Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Book Review - The Willow Tree Wharf

(This review has been written 16 June, but I see that no article or review is to appear before publication date, so I shall eschew publishing in accord until 4th July.)

Unaccustomed as I am to days of enforced leisure and strict instructions of what not to do, I was all at wits end as to what to do!

I did attempt to binge watch, but there were only 2 new episodes of Utopia and trying to find anything else to entice me was too cumbersome.

I do have a "to be read" bedside pile (who doesn't), but currently atop that is this month's book club book and, despite having had two crackers in a row this one is leaving me cold.

Beneath that several titles I have chosen from the library on recommendations from enthused other readers - but nothing really jumped out at me.

Then my beautiful sister gave me a surprise visit and a surprise gift - a book she had been given to review but had no time to do so, and what with me and all of this time available, what could I do but graciously offer myself as a willing victim.

The Willow Tree Wharf is apparently Leonie (I don't know how to ecu on this, unfortunately) Kelsall's fourth book but the first of hers that I have read.  From the book titles and the ties with previous titles and features in this book, I can assume that she has found a locale for her happy stories that works for her and this can be both stand alone and weave into stories of characters previously met should you chose to eat at the buffet.

Now, you know my take on Australian Literature (in case you didn't) but there are many genres within Australian literature (small l and you may italicise if that is your wont), and this genre - one that deals in happily ever afters and possibilities of future joy - is one that I am not so offended by.

Okay, I have been known to wallow in it.

I mean, true the grit that exists are all things that have happened TO our protagonists, but there is shading and texture enough that you can actually grow to know these people (and their supporting cast), hope for their success, scoff at their miscommunication and sigh at the little triumphs along the way.

Will it win this years  Stella or Miles Franklin?  Most likely not.  But will it leave its readers with a smile and a desire to enjoy what life has to offer?  I hope so.

6 comments:

Debby said...

Ah...light reading. Sometimes it offers just the right touch of fluff for people exhausted by the grit of this tough, tough world.

Kelly said...

I'm glad this one worked for you. I love books that are stand-alones, yet share characters. And sometimes we just NEED happily ever afters.

jeanie said...

So true that Kelly.

jeanie said...

To quote my Dad (who quoted Ella Wheeler Wilcox apparently) "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone; For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth, But has trouble enough of its own."

Lee said...

Thanks for your review, Jeanie.

Given that I moonlight (or should that be sunlight?) as a professional counsellor, I like to make sure my books have the realistic grit and dark aspects, BUT I am able to offer that 'happily for now' that doesn't always choose to show up in real life.

And holding ctrl+apostrophe, then pressing 'e' will give you correct accent mark. Now, if I could only work out how to pronounce my name...

jeanie said...

I am taking your book to the US with me so I will seed new pastures. Isn't the adage "I don't care what you call me, as long as you don't call me late for dinner"?