Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Finding royalty in genealogy

 Firstly, to cut to the chase, no actual corporeal royal's in the family chronicles - although it was courtesy of the Royal Family that my great-great-grandfather came to these shores.

And no, not that sort of Australian Royalty that has convictions and convicts.

Just an Irish labourer in Liverpool looking for a chance at a better life, who grasped it between potato famine back home and gold fever induced labour shortages ahead aboard a newly built schooner called the Royal Family.

(I would love to link to a picture here - search for "royal family" 1863 liverpool melbourne and you can see her)

Generally my hours between Paris going to bed and me doing the same is enforced research time on the couch.

My genealogy research is based currently on what I can find out for free. Investment may come when I retire but right now it's a hobby.

Anyhoo it's not that easy finding information on anything of that name, apart from the Royal Family (people) and Royal Family (toast recipients) in the 1860s.

At first I cast the net too wide, but could not resist a peak at how tame or royals are, comparatively...


Young Bomba and his better half Launceston Examiner Thursday 2 January 1862 - Page 5

TW - motherhood exemplified in the good old days 


Discipline of the Royal Family of England 

(courtesy of the Rochester Democrat via the San Francisco Herald)

Bell's Life in Sydney and Sporting Chronicle Saturday 19 January 1861 - Page 4

TW - this was a tolerant and accepting racial view for its time 

An Interesting Marriage at Brighton 

(Gymnastics Training)

The Herald (Melbourne) Thursday 30 October 1862 - Page - 7

Before finally I found the boat

By Electric Telegraph 

Geelong Advertiser Saturday 7 February

... and then straight down a rabbit hole I went 

Eight of the Lancashire bellringers - contributed very much to enliven the monotony of the voyage 

The Age Friday February 9 1863 - Page 5

I will bet they did 

by the Royal Family ... we may see an improved style of bellringing

The South Australian Advertiser Saturday February 14 1863 - Page 2 

And don't you imagine Mr George Coppin being some sort of wheeler-dealer! Added bonus in the above is reading of the furore created by the Christie Minstrel

There was a completely different story linked when I then found the dream business opportunity!

The Solitude Station - business opportunity 

The Age Friday February 20 1863 - Page 2

All from the comfort of my couch.

I also found Republican stirring and religious upheaval and Prince Albert dying and etiquette guidance and.

And now my hours between Paris going to bed and me doing the same are up.

Good night 💤 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I looked up the schooner and though I know nothing at all about sea travel, it seems awfully small for such a journey. Then again, the Titanic was, well, "titanic" and look what happened to it!

jeanie said...

Even moreso with about 500 people on board (including bellringers)!