Friday, February 06, 2009

Facebook on a Friday morning

As long time readers may be aware, I am not a huge fan of Facebook.

Sure, its a great way to keep in very loose touch with distant relatives, old school friends, fellow bloggers and mates from a few forums.

But as I have never been one to pass on chain letters in real life, so find it very bizarre that I am flung items of this ilk and even more so.

I don't poke; throw beads or snowballs; give Christmas trees, ornaments, Easter Eggs or hickeys - in fact, if it requires me to follow a three-step procedure, download an application and/or rope other friends into it, count me out.

And I am sorry, while I will occasionally nod in the direction of a Breast Cancer cause, but I don't think by clicking here - and here and here - will make the world emit less greenhouse gases, save more whales, lower racism, facism or fear. And I truly don't think I have saved one square foot of rainforest by continually, virtually watering exotic virtual plants.

Its not that I don't care about my friends on Facebook - I always check status updates and will comment on a few. Heck, I even occasionally update my own.

I comment on articles posted by a few that are interesting and that I am likely to read (so if you put up a political insight into the shifting world or something poignant and interesting).

On the other end of the spectrum, I feel like a good shower when someone sends through yet another "x politician is satans spawn because I received a chain letter and 10,000 people agree". I am still hoping that one got forwarded to my because they thought they were saving a rainforest.

This morning, the truly schizophrenic polychotomous nature of Facebook was highlighted for me.

One friend through a forum has just made dinner. One of my best friends when I was in my single 20s is travelling overseas - but the shine appears to have worn off her trip. A friend I have made through blogging has posted a political article of interest. A girl I went to school with is now a fan of McDonalds.

So I hop on, commented on half of that but no more and forgot to even update my own status - because I don't have time for facebook - there are blogs to be written and read, forums to be checked, work to be attended - and for the first time this year, tuckshop to man.

18 comments:

Lin said...

I once set up a facebook profile - probably at least a year ago. But when I discovered that registering was only the first step in an elaborate process, I promptly gave up. I still got people invite me to be their facebook friends, but I so cannot be bothered to even spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how it works, how I find them, or what I am supposed to do. If they want to keep in touch, they have my blog URL, my Flickr URL and of course - I'm oversimplifying now - my email address. But it does sound nice to be able to find out little snippets of info about people that you lost contact with.

Lin said...

Oh and I meant to tell that I have colleagues who sit next to eachtother at work and who check eachother's facebook to keep up with what they're doing. Huh?

mommamia said...

Facebook is too complicated for me. So I stick to reading blogs and forums.

Jayne said...

FaceBook is the tool by which the aliens plan on sucking our brains into their Pina Coladas (with the dinky umbrella)and leaving us addicted to listening to the bleating of a million sheep :P

WV =traptsu (traps you) Blogger growed itself a humour button!

Tracey said...

It took me two goes to figure Facebook out. The first time after I registered, I cancelled out in disgust. I persevered this time, just a few weeks ago, and it's basically just opened another avenue of communication. (I still have many issues with it.) But I've not had the headspace to blog lately, but I'm obviously addicted to posting about my life, so at the moment I'm keeping the commentary going on Facebook.
A funny thing happened though. My husband got a phone call out of the blue one night a week or so ago. An old school friend had found him on facebook (husband hasn't done much more than put his profile up), linked across to me, and then spent hours reading my blog and family website. He rang up to say how much he enjoyed reading what I had written, and what an interesting life we lead. LOL. Funny, but it made my day....

I ignore most of the stuff, like chain letters and emails, and most of the tagging that happens with blogging. I'll use it for the purpose that it suits me.

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the facebook thing. I hate it. I've been on it for about a month. It could be so much more friendly and easier to use. I have family on it, so I would be a total jerk if I just up and chucked it...as they all just added me to their family tabs...

I only check it once or twice a month. I like blogging much better!

:)

Jen at Semantically driven said...

I've finally found my groove with Facebook. It's mostly to see what people I know are up to and it's been a forum for meeting up with old friends I've lost contact with. I don't bother with the chain mail stuff and willy nilly joining of this group and that. Facebook is an on the fringe thing for me.

Debby said...

I don't have the patience to do facebook. It just seems like the annoyances outweigh the benefits. Where do people find the time to wade through the nonsense?

But really, Jeanie...don't give up your blog!

Brissiemum2 said...

Lol! I go through spits and spats of Facebook loving time. Sometimes I really love it and sometimes I just don't have the time for it. But you have to admit, it is a good place to snoop on what other people are doing! Lol!

Melody said...

You know I am a FB addict. I poke a few but that is it. I refuse to pass on things and I rarely accept certain things from others. I do like posting links and update my status regularly during the day.

But one thing is for certain - I keep my blog and my FB seperate. I do not want all my old school friends reading my blog which I share soley with selected friends, family and the rest of the world. *heehee*

Anonymous said...

I'm very much like you. I'll comment occasionally (more lately - maybe that's due to rain making me housebound..) but that's about it. I have no photos on my profile and very few (comparatively 'friends'. I can't stand the updates telling me that someone has become a fan of Vegemite and someone else hates Crocs. And I really don't care how expert people have become in Texas Hold 'em Poker (and have no idea what that is)!! I've even removed some friends because they kept filling up my Home page thing with annoying crap. I log in every couple of days, check what's going on, and leave. That's the way I like it.

ELIZABETH said...

I'd use it to spy on my son's life but he won't be my "friend".

My nieces however love me!!

I play with it on and off but refuse to get sucked into most of the extras.

Maude Lynn said...

I checked into Facebook, but I just don't have that kind of patience!

Anonymous said...

I have to say it again - I think Imust b getting old. I just don't 'get' the facebook / twitter / whatever next trendy thing. Perchance I have too many wrinkles?

Anonymous said...

I've not yet figured facebook out.

And frankly blogging is a big enough distraction already lol

Anonymous said...

I am on Facebook and use it to keep in touch with family I normally would be able to keep in touch with.

But yeah, I get tired of being sent stuff and then feel bad if I do not return the favour.

screamish said...

yeah...agree...Ive been thinking about facebook a lot lately and spending way too much time on it

Anonymous said...

I agree ... in fact I wrote this on the comments page of another blogger-who-hates-FB this morning:
"I'm sick of being asked to list '25 things' about myself and I've been under 'the spotlight of my friends' since I joined. Apparently 20 people have a crush on me and 3 think I'm dumber than dog shit.
And yet I stay and read the updates (at least I can tell which of my Victorian friends are OK), too polite to refuse friend requests or join causes which I have no hope of helping by clicking a button on a computer."