Thursday, May 07, 2009

I know what I was doing 10 years ago

Yes - I may have less than nothing to report on the post-less last few days.

I could summarise - work, work, work, tend to daughter's cough, work, work, tend to daughter's cough, work, work, tend to daughter's cough, work, work, tend to daughter's cough, work, work, tend to daughter's cough - notice the complete lack of housework? - work, work, tend to daughter's cough, create a few fabulous dinners (not catering for childish tastes because she is sick and doesn't want anything, her tummy hurts, her throat hurts, can she play on the computer), work, work, tend to daughter's cough - I could go on for the requisite 1,000 words but I think you have the picture painted. (Oh, and please note - the "work, work" component meant that V had more than a fair share of the "tend to daughter's cough" end of the deal!)

But I do remember exactly what I was doing 10 years ago.

I was cleaning my house, cooking up a storm, organising friends with chairs, tables, crockery, cutlery, salads, ingredients, ovens, menus and getting ready for tomorrow.

Because tomorrow was the celebration of my 30th.

We had 50 of our nearest and dearest come to a sit-down four-course vegetarian feast under our house to help celebrate.

The only set-back to the whole meal was when the non-capsicum version of the spinach gnocchi in roasted red-pepper and blue-cheese sauces was all scoffed before P could grab some.

Still haven't organised my 40th - but I found the invitation to my 30th the other day (and promptly lost it again, otherwise you would have the picture...) and smiled.

That was also the day we announced to the world that we were expecting a 'Salina shaped surprise.

What is your "ten years ago" memory?

9 comments:

Widdle Shamrock said...

Firstly, welcome to the naughty forties !!!!!

I loved turning 40.

10 years ago, around now, I found out that I was pregnant with Celtic Dingo, he turns 10 in October. We had lost Celtic Lad's twin the year before, so it was wonderful to have this good news in the midst of our sadness.

Jen at Semantically driven said...

Flippin' 40 ey? Happy birthday! Ten years ago I was nearing the end of a relationship that had lasted just a bit too long. And after we finally broke up I got my dog. I was also planning on going overseas a year later and not knowing how life-changing that would be.....

Ree said...

10 years ago? Hmmmm. Let's see. Shortman was 6 - just getting ready to finish first grade. It was 1999. I'd gotten my first "managerial" promotion at work.

Life as I know it now was just starting... ;-)

Jayne said...

10 yrs ago?
Gawd (racking my brain) ahh, yes!
We'd just had FB's diagnosis and we were planning our wedding :)

Mary O. Paddock said...

Woo-hoo! Happy Birthday!

This time ten years ago I was very pregnant with my fourth son, playing music with a little gospel group, gardening like a mad woman, and trying to keep up with three very busy little boys.

Jay said...

Aw , happy birthday sweetie. I hope this one is a good one for you.

Melody said...

Great post!

"Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear yoooooou,
Happy Birthday to you!"

Enjoy your 40th year.

10 years ago? Hmm...1999? Working, partying, enjoy life I guess.

Lin said...

Have a lovely birthday party!

What was I doing 10 years ago... Nothing special apart from trying to make a bad relationship better, still trying to adapt to living in another country, living in a place without decent public transport and no drivers licence, being unemployed after getting sacked and feeling quite depressed. Bwark, life is MUCH better now than then!

BB said...

Hmmmmm.... I think I was getting my head around the fact my little sister was about to announce that she was expecting my first neice/nephew. And looking forward to gnocchi...
:-)
BB