Saturday, May 02, 2009

My blogging quest

Blogging quest - brought to you by Semantically driven


Some time ago, Jen at Semantically Driven offered this challenge - at the time, I had a few challenges (note the silences and occasional posts begging for mercy) and so put it on the backburner.

But here were are - and Jen wants to know the whys, whens and wherefores of the blogging journey.

Waa-ay back when (in late 2006) I had recently moved to a new town where I knew no-one, was forming a new long-distance relationship with a new man, dealing with a child who was incredibly sad about being taken from her best friend to a place where all the kids were mean, with myself who is someone who loves to work and be social where there was very little of both.

In those days, I knew nothing of blogging - in fact, it was not until I googled "diabetic recipes for children" in frustration due to a family visit (that has a whole back history worthy of its own blog post) and found a blog with a recipe.

And when the said blogger very soon after that put up a post about people googling her with strange phrases, such as some weird critter wanting to cook diabetic children, my first ever blog comment was born.

After that, I immersed myself in the world of other people, finding out many who blogged for many different reasons. I finally dipped my toe into the water in December 2006.

I have never had a blogging vision or any idea where I was going with this - it was an outlet when I had none, it is my link (and in some cases lifeline) to a lot of friends, new and old.

I see great potential in blogs used the right way for business or community or purpose - but this blog is a bit like me on a lot of days - sometimes inspired, sometimes tired, occasionally amusing and occasionally very yummy (well, that isn't me, but if you come by for dinner I do try to aspire to yummy) - and a firm believer in saying it in 1000 words as I never have a decent camera to hand!!

So what about you - why, how, what and whatever... If you want to take part in Jen's Challenge, go to this link and learn all about it!

11 comments:

Debby said...

I'm very glad that you took up blogging. I cannot remember whether I met you first, or your sister, but I'm glad that I've met you both and your mother too.

Melody said...

I like your reasonings. I too, am glad you started blogging. I quite enjoy reading your words...

Jen at Semantically driven said...

Jeanie, I too am glad you started blogging and I'm glad you joined in the blogging quest. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

And I am so very, very glad that you did.

Sarah Lulu said...

Yes that's a lovely story ....
I'm very new to blogging ...myself only since February I think.

And I googled the word for some reason, I can't remember why and the rest is history.

Lovely to have met you in the first few weeks :)))

Woman in a Window said...

Funny how it happens, isn't it? It almost seems so natural for many to fall into blogging.
I wanted a way to write and be heard. I had a friend who blogged. Pretty natural endeavour for me.

Maude Lynn said...

I honestly don't remember what possessed me to start a blog. I do remember that it was 2 in the morning!

Widdle Shamrock said...

Cook diabetic children, lol.Oh dear.

I love the fact that we can see into each other's world and perhaps not feel so isolated. Especially when we can see that alot of us experience the same sort of things.

Jayne said...

Ahhh, so it was YOU who wanted to cook sugar-free children for the ogres of Fairy Wood all those years ago?
They're still waiting for their desserts, just in case you'd forgotten...perhaps diabetic ice cream instead :P

Jay said...

It's cool to hear your blogging history. Mine is so old (2004!) that I hardly remember anymore.

Bec said...

This is my first time to your blog, but I couldn't pass up commenting on eating diabetic children. I don't get any wacky search strings, just rude, nasty ones.