Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hold your children a little closer

I come from a sleepy little town near a bigger town.

The bigger town has its share of problems - a lot of alcohol-fuelled shenanigans (considering a brand of the most aggresive of spirits is actually named after bigger town is not only a coincidence and due to manufacturer location) that falls WELL outside what I consider acceptable (and man, I feel closer and closer to my mother the more I moue the local news), the sort of violence that sends me straight into middle-age with my aghast attitude at "young (and actually, not so young) people today" and local magistrates who, if local newspapers are to be believed, have a mandate of keeping punishment levels as low as possible.

However, we were all shaken to the core by reports yesterday that an 8 year old girl was abducted from her bed while her family was sleeping on Sunday night.

Many prayers were said - but unfortunately by yesterday afternoon reports that her body had been found shattered everyone that I have seen.

My daughter, who was introduced to death too early when P. passed on has a huge fear of dying as it is. There are nights when she can't sleep because she worries about people dying.

Something like this happening so nearby and as yet with no explanation is just too shocking to try and comprehend or give any comprehension too.

So all we can do is hold her a little closer, explain that we will do all we can that it will never happen here and hope to goodness that society stops its madness soon.

We had to drive close to where it happened on our way to training yesterday. We saw the traffic jam as people had to slow to pass the scene. We saw police tape and cars. We saw a lot of news cameras and reporters.

My daughter turned to me and asked why the news never told us anything good. I know we have to know that this evil occurs, and to be wary - but she has a point.

There is no line to wrap up this blog. I am in shock. The community is in shock.

15 comments:

BB said...

We all ache for this child. Hugs to Salina.

Mary O. Paddock said...

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I will indeed hold my own children closer today.

Leenie said...

Life is such a treasure. It is impossible to comprehend those who destroy it. Hugs to you and your family.♥

Alison said...

Nothing but tears.

Jayne said...

It brought back memories of Eloise Worledge and made me close and lock my son's bedroom window, no matter how hot it gets.
(((hugs))) It's horrendous these monsters are out there.

Nikki aka Widdle Shamrock said...

So sad.

It is not right that there are people out there who take innocent lives.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I couldn't go back to sleep this morning thinking about the poor girl & her family. To lose a child at any time is devastating but to that horrendous violence is unimaginable.
I am so sorry you have to deal with this so close to home.
I hate my husband leaving windows open.
I still remember the 18 month old taken from between two siblings a while back ...still not found.

Brissiemum2 said...

I saw that on the news this morning and thought how completely awful. This, on top of Elliot Fletcher's shocking death last week......our precious kids taken wayyyy too young. I hope that they quickly find who did this awful thing to that poor girl. It makes me hug my daughter sooo much tighter.

Jen at Semantically driven said...

I heard this news on the way home from work today and couldn't comprehend that it even happens but unfortunately it does. It certainly puts in perspective that even though the day to day of parenting is hard it would be even harder to not do it.

Bea Ardubleue said...

I was so shocked to read this too, while i'm away. It has prompted plans for increased security at home, specially on A's room, to be ready for us when we get back. I hope all in the community there, and especially Salina, feel safer soon. My prayers to all affected, particularly Trinity's family.

MissyBoo said...

I want to bury my head in the sand and never hear of such things! Just thinking about it makes my heartache. Hugs to you and Salina xxx

Anonymous said...

Salina is right - the news this week has been just plain awful.
I've cried quite a few tears for this little girl in the past day. Hugs.

Debby said...

I'm not familiar with the story, but oh golly, it makes my heart hurt anyway. Hugs to Salina.

Le said...

shocking .. I am shutting windows from now on ... the invasion of the home is a horrific blow to ones peace of mind ... and the loss of the babe ... indescribable pain I imagine ... blah ... le ox

Farmers Wifey said...

I haven't stopped thinking about this little girl since it happened. We don't live so far either from this and it's so tragic...