Friday, February 05, 2010

No! Sleep! 'Til Bedtime!

I did not have this baby with the intention that that would be ALL I would blog about.

I was going to continue on with insightful observations of the world, gems mined from my memory banks and reflections on the thoughts of other bloggers. #1


Unfortunately I had not counted on what Paris would bring to that equation. And what she has brought (besides some very gorgeous "ohhhhh" moments) can be encapsulated in three words, folks.

Sleep Dep Rivation.

Not during the night - oh no, I have the poster child for evening sleep. Between 8 and 9 every evening she switches her lights out and will generally only call upon my services once in the next 9 hours - there have even been recorded instances when that call never came! I know - there has to be a glitch...

Well, you are right. Right now, I am typing this with every other fibre on my being touching wood because Paris is having a nap - and it has actually lasted longer than 10 minutes. (avert, avert)

She doesn't have a hassle with dropping off - its just the jerking awake and screaming within 5 minutes of doing so that is starting to mess with my mind.

On Sunday, she went 17 hours without entering double digits in the naptime stakes. There are adults (myself included) who consider such things as akin to defining torture!

Yes, yes, I know I don't need to nap during the day and what the heck am I whinging about and other people do it with 10 children, 3 dogs, hold down 2 jobs, look after an in-law, keep their house clean AND write a thesis. #2

But if you are bringing that to the reading of my blog, you must be new - because I have a low threshhold for "putting up with" and whinging is what I am really good at. Welcome, by the way.

Yesterday she contemplated that record, but luckily was disqualified due to the 40 minute mega-sleep she had at 3pm (ever tried doing all you have to do in a day in 40 minutes AND spend quality time with your eldest?)



Today, she didn't want that and nor did I. We agreed on a new strategy when I would try and keep her awake until she was really sleepy, and so I didn't try and put her down until she had been awake for 5 hours. I (silently) danced with joy as the 10 minute mark passed - and both of us had real tears when at 12 minutes she yelled for me (on the plus side, I CAN have dinner, peg a load, start the washing up, celebrate AND check emails in 12 minutes, it seems).

As I said, right now she sleeps, because I have found one crutch that helped - if I fall asleep beside her and have a half-hour's kip, the "alert I wake" response does gradually dissipate (to the degree that when it happened when I left her, some logical neuron in her brain said "shut up, I am sleeping" to that response).


Shhhh....



#1 - I know I didn't actually have all that going prior to the birth due to the blog becoming a pregnancy blog - or even prior to the pregnancy - but hey, let me fool myself at least - and try to fool those new readers.

#2 - Actually, I have (for me) been trying to do a little of the super-mum of late, as I foolishly said "yes" when an old client said "could you please" and buttered me up with a little flattery and the words "small job" - and couldn't find the "no" switch when "extremely urgent" entered the equation and the small job mushroomed

#3 - Darn it - guess who JUST woke up?

18 comments:

Alison said...

I know you said stuff.. And I read that stuff.. And I probably should say supportive stuff...
But...
Baby photos!!!!!!

Shhhhh....

Anonymous said...

Oh Jeanie.. We'll have to source some sleeping dust or something....

Too hot for wrapping up I guess. (cotton bunny rugs?) Is it the startle reflex that wakes her up?
Wish I could come up with a magical solution for you!

Anonymous said...

There's a great book called "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantly .... really helped me when Mr H would wake up after 20 minutes EVERY time I put him down ....as it turned out his sleep cycles were 20 minutes long and I just needed to BE THERE when he woke up to pat him back to sleep and then he'd go for an hour or two. Wish I had it when "Miss-I-will-only-sleep-on-Mummy" was a bub.

Debby said...

CD is on its way. Not sure how long it takes to get stuff from England to Oz. It does sound like a startle reflex though.

MissyBoo said...

Oh I am so glad someone else has a baby like mine was! Not necessarily glad it's you though!

Oh yes it's joyous to have so much night time sleep (and everyone envies you) but when you CANNOT get anything done in the daylight hours it becomes torturous!

I tried everything and hated people who had children that slept, worse when my toodler would only sleep 30 mins and the child down the street was putting in a 4 hour nap :(

Hugs and hopes you may find a solution xxx

Jayne said...

I was going to suggest the wrapping, like Tracy, maybe with really light cotton sheets? It's more the pressure than the actual warmth that does the trick. The jerking awake is falling asleep too fast (I think).
Totally gorgeous girl!

Tamsyn said...

Getting a good nights sleep is great, but I know how frustrating it can be when they stay awake all day too!

Absolutely gorgeous photos, I love the one where she is asleep in her bassinet best :)

jeanie said...

Alison - sigh - just like my life, really - I think stuff and then I completely forget it when I see the model for the photos.

Trace - waaaay to hot to do much right now - and humid! I am too busy hiding at the other end of the house to see exactly what it is that wakes her most times.

Corymbia - thank you very much for that book tip - I will hunt it down and have a look.

Debby - you are such a sweetie. You KNOW you didn't have to do that, right? Still, one baby cuddle is definitely reserved for you.

MissyBoo - oh yes, there is a them and us - although a week ago, she wouldn't stay awake and slept away a lot of time so I was a them then.

Jayne - I hadn't thought of that - great idea - will try it when next she is distraught.

Carina - quality spamming, nice. Unfortunately I am unlikely to do the whole pregnancy thing again (unless we win lotto, and then this blog will be more than a pregnancy blog I am sure!) but I am leaving your comment there because some day someone might need your address.

Life. Complicated. said...

Have you tried warming up her bed with a light heating pad (of course removing it before placing her in there)? I do not have actual expereince but have been informed that the warmth of my body and the cold sheets can startle the babe.

jeanie said...

ha ha LF - here, we would be talking more cooling fans for the sheets - it is very hot and humid right now!! Good idea for Winter, though.

How is your pregnancy going? You will be having Summer babies yourself, all going well.

BB said...

Ohhhh... Paris photos... mmmmm.
What was that? Oh. You WROTE something? Okay, hang on.... oh yes. Sorry to hear that. I prescribe some more bush air for her. So there.
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

I am slowly easing myself back into blogland. Look at what I have missed !

Memories of sleep deprivation. Ahhh... I think that's why women get post birth baby brain!

tiff(threeringcircus) said...

Hang in there, my friend. You are doing wonderfully.
Hope the sleep deprivation eases soon.

Gayla said...

She is so precious...precious! But I'm guessing not so precious when it comes to no sleep...LOL
Love the photos!
Hugs, Gayla
PS: When you get a moment could you please email me so I can send you an invite. Whenever u get time :) Thanks!

Farmers Wifey said...

Aww you know we all want to read about this gorgeous baby...keep it up!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I have no assvice but I keep repeating over and over to myself on bad days This, too will pass ...everything is just a phase.

Have you tried a sling ? It's good for your core muscles ;) too

Paris is adorable.

Foilwoman said...

It's a good thing she's so darn cute, right? I didn't understand this problem til I had my youngest. My eldest slept through the night (and took naps) nicely at 6 weeks. My work buddy at the time said: You so don't deserve that.

Nikki aka Widdle Shamrock said...

My first two were PERFECT sleepers and I just thought I was the BEST mothere ever.... then came Celtic Dingo, who never cried but SCREAMED and slept for 20 minute bursts unless upright or on his stomach. He slept throught the night for the first time when he was 4.

I dunno how we get through it without going postal sometimes.

She is just too cute !!!