Thursday, February 29, 2024

On carrots and music...

 I must have triggered the carrots algorithm, because tonight social media put forth to me a recipe for a Korean Carrot Salad with a side lesson in history (who knew that there were Korean enclaves in Uzbekistan and Afghanistan courtesy of Russian domestic history). 

It did look kind of interesting, but given the spectrum of reactions that have been given to the French jelly thing (I have made it again with the zest and juiced oranges as opposed to the bottle - a different experience), ranging from 

  • the "oh wow! That's really good" with surprise to
  • "oh, well at least it makes carrot edible" 
    • (who knew my father had such strong food convictions! He eats anything anytime with scant regard to food safety practices 
      • (he holds them in the same regard as wind-powered generators - 
        • which is confusing as windmills were a big part of his life - 
        • although makes sense because there was nothing he hated more than constantly fixing them
        • )
      • )
  • to the absolute refusal of a colleague over the partition
I might give it a pass for a bit.

Last weekend I went to my parents to take them to a nearby Bigger Town to take care of paperwork required for them to get "medications at a reasonable price" (because they have both paid taxes for over 65 years) (and we failed and the 🕸️ of officiousness continues to make them squirm...) and then on to Bigger Bigger Town to meet with my sister and get The Old Fella an appointment for his teeth.

My current car is their old car, and as I am too short to put the antenna on (our garage is j-u-s-t tall enough for the car, but not quite tall enough for car AND antenna) and the drive too distant to get any radio signal without, I created a Spotify playlist of songs. Songs Mum used to play on car rides like Val Doonican, Cilla Black and Anne Murray and Dad used to play in the truck like Slim Dusty and Jimmy Little and a few songs that I have liked through the years and some songs that my daughters have introduced.

Unfortunately there was also no internet signal on the road and the downloaded songs ceased and the only other sound option was the cd that had remained in the car since forever. Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits (and wasn't that a rabbit hole - who knew Toni Lamond is her half-sister?)


When we went to see my Dad's sister and my Uncle the next morning, they got to talking about older times and how Uncle S had first met his wife to be - he has always been a bit of a character and so the tall tales and outrageous lies sprinkled with enough truth make you wonder - it involved polocrosse and country music and crutches - which  led the discussion to this song:



Mum danced and Dad and Aunty F sang along.


2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'd forgotten just how many hits Helen Reddy had! I could have sung right along with most of those!

jeanie said...

I too - although by the 23rd I had had my dose of Helen for the month!