Sunday, March 31, 2024

Kanonikos Plaki

 First, allow me to apologise to the Greeks for appropriating your cuisine and possibly misusing your language - or not. I mean, I don't understand Greek so I don't actually know how wrong - or, jagged it perhaps, right that title is.

But anyway, I digress.

In a way this dish is on the way to being another Jeanie Easter tradition - I am so easily led into making everything a set pattern - but this dish ticks all important boxes for any table which will be surrounded by a variety of requirements. This is its second year of gracing the table.

It is vegan, gluten-free, low-fat, high-fibre, and tastes delicious enough for people who are scared of the words vegan and gluten-free to delight. 

Added bonus is this year I eschewed the recipe and winged it.

The basic instructions for it (as I took no pictures) is:

Soak white beans (not, however, gigantic white beans as the resident V-man doesn't trust big beans so I didn't have any even if that fact wasn't part of the equation) for a bit and then cook until tender. 

 Put the beans and about 1/4 cup cooking water into a greased enamel bowl and put on top 1/3 chopped onion, 3 chopped cloves of garlic and about a dozen tiny cherry tomatoes from the struggling vine at the back door halved. Pour 1/2 tin smooshed tomatoes over (you can salt and pepper it too if you wanted) and do a couple of stirs but not too particular.

Place in a moderate to hot oven for about 20 minutes or however long other stuff is going on.

I didn't today but would probably sing even louder if fresh parsley or lemon juice were a final touch but was delicious and declared a winner on the cold out of the fridge a few hours later by V.


Oh look - I did take a photo - from back - beans, broccoli and  steamed beans, Traditional Cauliflower Cheese, roasted pumpkin/onion/carrot/garlic/potatoes, roast beetroot in foil and roast lamb.


2 comments:

Kelly said...

If it's appeared two years in a row, then it's now a tradition. I think it sounds delicious!!

jeanie said...

Highly recommended!