Saturday, December 27, 2008

'Salina and the Santa saga...

This morning, I actually awoke before 7am.

How is that for progress, a child who lets you sleep in until 7.30 on Christmas Day, and not because she hasn't been up from 5am!

And then she pulled the same again yesterday - Boxing Day - I am liking this 9 caper.

Great present.

But today I was up before all.

And I regarded the festivities we have had and are having.

Christmas is Summer is perfect beach weather here. We have been taking advantage of that.

As usual some presents are FAN-bloddy-TASTIC and some are duds.

What comes to mind is the fat red fella, and how he went this year (and years past)...

I was never going to be pushing the whole "Santa" boat when I had a baby. Unfortunately I didn't get that choice - not because her father was a Santaphile but because she was the first grandchild and there were many pushers who didn't want the flagship child to be thus neglected.

Unfortunately Santa has had to fit within my budget and so her Santa sack has not always been as brimming with material worth as those children in other households. But its the thought, isn't it?

One year Santa sent a carousel that wasn't set up before the morning of, and it took several hours for Nana and Mum to realise that not all pieces shown on the cover were included in the set - just the bits to make it all connect and work. I do hope those elves got a good talking to.

This year, Santa apparently made several visits.

On Tuesday 'Salina and I went shopping and she found an adorable (italics hers) stuffed toy dog that attaches to a harness and lead and by pressing a button on the lead (judiciously) it makes a cute (again, italics by 'Salina) yapping sound.

She bought it with her own money (due to some embargoes imposed by the adult members of the household regarding stuffed animals) and was very busy in her room afterwards wrapping the darned thing. Not an easy task - the lead is solid so the shape is not of the "easy-wrappping" variety.

She made herself a card - and signed it from Santa.

This brought a whole new dimension to the fable that is pushed as the jolly red guy.

Of course, the big guy also had procured other items for the indulged girl, so he cannily mentioned the "dog he had put into the real world for her to find" in his other cards.

But he didn't get her the right CD.

And the stocking stuffers were a bit hit and miss. The staples didn't fit any of her staplers. There were no decent toys.

The "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" turned out not so much to be the DVD so loved (because it is the best of the Harry offerings) but a CD-ROM game - which she had seen and heard of and its reputation was one of "great" - except her computer doesn't think so (darned old-fashioned hand-me-down non-gamer machine) and so it again falls into the whole carousel category of Santa gifts.

Sigh.

Good thing she loves him and overlooks his inadequacies in the field of gift-giving.

9 comments:

Mary O. Paddock said...

Kind of puts a new spin on "tis better to give than receive" thing, doesn't it?

I don't think any of mine were inventive enough to wrap gifts for themselves, but my oldest came pretty darned close with detailed lists and where to find the items at (at the age of four).

Still sounds like you had a pretty good Christmas anyway. :)

Crazed Nitwit said...

My boys got giftcards to movies, starbucks, restaurants and for gas. Cash is just spent stupidly by teen boys. Sounds like a nice time and you haven't been snowed in for weeks!

HUGZ

Kari said...

What a character that daughter of yours is. I chuckled all through this post.

MissyBoo said...

Still laughing at 'Salina buying and wrapping her own gift from Santa! At least she got what she wanted...

My child slept until 9am on Christmas morning! Gotta love late Christmas Eve celebrations :-)

Debby said...

I was up at 5:30. I was very quiet. I baked a strata and waited patiently until 8. Wasn't I good?

Maude Lynn said...

I love that she got herself a gift from Santa. I think that I'm going to start doing that myself!

Jayne said...

LOL Love that she wrapped her own Santa pressie.
"Italics by 'Salina" could be a great fashion label :P

Melody said...

Salina has the right idea. At least she actually got what she wanted off Santa. Clever girl.

Presents here are always hit and miss too...

Woman in a Window said...

I was just talking to my husband about this last night. It seems our kids want to believe in it so badly (or not wanting to disappoint us) that it seems they justify their beliefs, explain them away, make sense of them, try their best to cause them to be acceptable. Odd it all is, but this need to want to believe in magic, well, that is magic in and of itself.