Right at this moment, I am being serenaded by a magpie on my front window.
Magpies have a bit of a reputation, but also the most glorious songs.
We don't know if she (he?) is singing with delight at the rain and the nibblies it is washing her in the gutter, or if she is seeking old love or new love or children.
She (he?) has been at it for a good 15 minutes so far. I did try to take a video (is it still called a video?) of it, but long story short, (a) you get what you pay for and (b) there is nothing more unnerving than trying to get a good shot of a severely backlit magpie on your front window without getting freaked out by the intense eye contact she (he?) is directing your way.
Did I mention it is raining here? On and off since a thunderstorm last night we have had quite heavy showers.
Rain is a blessing and always welcome in my history, but I now live a life where there are direct downsides. Downsides which are also upsides, I might mention.
V is a bricklayer. There is something to do with the actual structural integrity as well as health concerns that require bricklayers to only work when the weather is clement.
Which is great for me, because
It has been a perfectly tempered weekend, actually.
- was glorious weatherwise,
- 'Salina's team won their softball match,
- Santa visited the softball grounds (that guy gets around),
- I discovered the proof to a theory that no woman my size donates to any charity shops - they all discard their "skinny clothes" when they finally realise that it is NEVER going to happen - which made me feel better in a way because that means I am a normal woman even though it also meant that I couldn't even shout myself some cheap clothes,
- our groceries came to EXACTLY the budgeted amount,
- I happened to find in the fridge exactly the ingredients I required to make a freaking AWESOME moussaka (with eggplant-free variety available for the immature palate) that met with the double-thumbs up and request as a regular menu item.
- On Sunday
- 'Salina and I cycled to the beach for a swim in the amazingly warm ocean,
- then came home to 'Salina impressing herself and us with her fabulous room tidying talents with the added bonus of being HAPPY while she did it,
- the skies darkened but saved their moisture until I had taken all the washing off the line,
- we watched "Scrooge" and even though I slept the majority of the way through it (strict training in saying "yes" when asked "are you awake?" while asleep is required to attain this prize) I was awake and got a tear when Tiny Tim got his present,
- got a light show with dinner to the accompaniment of thunder - but not in a scary way, more in an awe of nature but really really safe way (the upside to living in a really FLAT part of the country)
- and saw 49 up with V before turning in and falling to sleep with a crescendo of rain.
So - how was your weekend?