Thursday, March 26, 2009

Responsibility

(or "watch out for those curve balls")

I am a worker bee. If someone needs a job done, I will do it.

That being said, I am not one who seeks the titles or wants the responsibility.

About a month before the end of season, the step-father of one of 'Salina's team-mates (and a seasoned softball parent and player) asked me if anyone was organising gifts for the coaches and assistants. I had not heard of this happening and wondered along with him.

As the weeks passed, I realised the answer was "no-one" and eventually I got sucked into that vacuum, and so on my list this Saturday is get gifts and cards for the coaches, wrap them, track down all the team on the Sunday break-up to sign the cards and present them.



But that is small fry responsibility, and I realised that we can't all always hide behind poles when these tasks are handed out.

Last night was the School P&C AGM.

I have always tried to be an active member of the P&C because theoretically a good P&C means you have some recourse in having a good school body. Unfortunately I am very much in the minority with this - even though we had a great turn out for the meeting last night, the 12 families represented there was a tiny decimal of a percentage of the 270 families at the school!

We left 'Salina in the capable hands of our 84 year old neighbour (who has an unfortunate habit of tidying my house for me when we get her to cat sit on occasional weekends) and V & I went along. ('Salina, reading over my shoulder, tells me I shouldn't have "and V & I" because too many ands...)

On the very short drive to the school, V asked that I hold myself back from taking on too much work as I have the new job and my old clients and am getting a little busy. I agreed.

So as I was saying, last night I was willing to put my hand up for a position - if there were no other hands. I would have done secretary or (if pushed) treasurer because someone has to do those jobs.

I didn't get either - because by the time nominations for those roles came up, I already had a hat to wear.

And so did V!!

Hence Jeanie - the woman who only a short time ago wondered about being apart a bit from the local community - well, now I am a responsible member of it.

(My new job is a role in a community organisation also)

Just call me "President" - and V is my first man!

Eeek!!! I will need to go clothes shopping.

18 comments:

Jen at Semantically driven said...

I hear you President Jeanie. I've put my name forward to be a parent helper (not quite a president thank goodness) at my son's cub scout group as they need a female person around as there's girls there. I hope there's more than just me and one other woman doing it. I don't even have a daughter. Interestingly there's about 14 kids in the group so if even half the parents stepped forward.....

Debby said...

Madame President!

*stands at attention as 'Hail to the Chief' is played*

PS: Jeanie? I'd be asking my neighbor to catsit a couple times a week.

Jayne said...

And shoes!!!
Don't forget some arse-kickin' shoes! ;)

Mary O. Paddock said...

Go Jeanie. Just don't go too far. :)

Anonymous said...

So, now we need to call you Ms. President, eh? Awesome.

Tracey said...

Ah now I understand the El Presidente ref elsewhere! Congratulations. I think!

Definitely congratulations on the paying job one!

BB said...

Ha!!!! That's fabulous... you have one-upped me (being Secretary of State (School P&C)) ... Madam President!

And V - for 'vice' I assume??

Man. When it rains in Paradise it really freaking comes down, doesn't it??
:-)
BB

Melody said...

You make me laugh! That is funny. What a responsibility you have but good on you!!

Kari said...

I always get myself into being something or another but never president thankfully.

mommamia said...

That's great and I think its wonderful that V is getting involved too.

Crazed Nitwit said...

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Been there, so glad to be done with that. :P

Anonymous said...

Good on you!

I haven't done the P&C thing yet for school but plan on it when my duties to running the playgroup end (end of this year ... maybe ... if I can find someone else).
I love helping in the classroom though ... and just discovered its work brownie points with Qld College of teachers :)

MissyBoo said...

Congratulations, Madam President!

Do they know what they've let themselves in for? Especially with 2 of you in the top spots :)

Maude Lynn said...

You're braver than me! Waaaay braver!

Anonymous said...

I so understand. This year you can call me madame treasurer. Good luck!

Tanya said...

Hee, hee. I could see you were going to say that you were prez even before you got to that part.

Lots of luck with it all!!

Rekomendasi Saham said...

helloo.. bwalking..

Nice Blog..

Woman in a Window said...

Thankful for people like you. I always intend on being more than a lump, but when the lump fits...