Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Got a Date?

One thing I have been doing instead of blogging of late has been to trawl through my trove of collected recipes and offer goodies to my family.

This is the most easy to do date loaf in the world, I swear!!!

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • I cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda
  • 6 oz chopped dates
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1 egg

Method
  • Put water, sugar, butter, bicarb and dates into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
  • Beat in flour and egg
  • Cook in a loaf pan in a moderate oven for 45 minutes
  • Eat and enjoy


How easy was that?

11 comments:

Brissiemum2 said...

Oh excellent! I've been nagging my SIL for her date loaf recipe and am still waiting. Will give yours a try!

Melody said...

I live in Date Country. Currently in all the shopping malls there are 'Date displays' from around the Gulf Regions (you're jealous aren't you?) I certainly do have a date and I certainly will be baking this loaf. Ta :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds so easy, I might just give it a go! (Btw, how long do dates last? I found an opened packet (and some in a container) in my big kitchen cupboard cleanout...and I don't know whether they'll still be ok or not!)

Jayne said...

Woot!
That is sooo easy, thanks :)

Melody said...

I just made this my friend, and my goodness, it is delicious!! and so bloody easy to whip up! Thanks.

(Even Monet is eating it so that is saying something!)

:-)

jeanie said...

BM2 - this will be BETTER than your SIL's date loaf - she will get jealous.

Melody - isn't it just? I have made 2 in 4 days and may have to saddle up again tomorrow because it keeps disappearing.

Tracey - well, we once bought a case of dates for my father and they are still going, apparently!! They are noted for their longevity (and my father for his cast-iron gut) so I think they will still be okay (but test on a nearby male if unsure)...

Jayne - it certainly is - and very easy to eat. 'Salina almost swore it had chocolate in it, it was so yummy.

MissyBoo said...

I think 6oz of dates would disappear in my mouth before they made it into the recipe :)

ELIZABETH said...

Even I might manage this one.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I'll be doing this one. I will even blog about it!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks!

Mistress B said...

right. That makes it onto my weekend baking list - everyone loves a nice date loaf in this house :)