Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The silver lining

The day started a tad early to my liking.

3am, and my mind, seeing a chink in my consciousness, whirred into overdrive.

Every time sane me would plea "more sleep please" it would take a tangent and weave an elaborate list of what I should do, what I need to do, how much I need to do it and why.

At 3.11 I warmed some milk and begged for just a nap before I have to emerge from slumber.

At 3.19 my mind was still harping and carping - it blogged, it boasted of the beauty of what I could do should I rise, I cursed and it sang with "get up" tunes and threatened to drive me insane.

At 3.23 it took a different tack, and pondered on the placement of the cat, somehow making philosophy out of the furball's desire to sleep on my feet - lucky Eddie.

At 3.29 I tossed and turned, trying to switch off. Then I gave up.

Therefore I have been up already 3 hours - not a great deal to show for it, true, but while the world of people slumbered I stumbled around some of my internet haunts, sorted my home-based workload and started that doggarned list.

And then I looked outside.

The clouds were the most amazing range of reds and pinks. There was a rainbow adorning the Western sky. Two kangaroos were grazing in the park across the road. The birds began their morning song.

And I realised that there was one more thing to add to my list this morning - counting my blessings.

And really, even the early waking was a blessing - who knows how much I would have missed otherwise?

13 comments:

mommamia said...

Sometimes are blessings really are in the small things.

Mary O. Paddock said...

I hate it when I'm prodded awake by some unresolved conflict or small, but determined worry! On the other hand, I know exactly what you mean by seeing dawn and feeling blessed.

Great post, Jeanie.

Leenie said...

Wow! A sunrise, a rainbow and kangaroos! If I saw kangaroos outside MY window here in Idaho, U.S.A., I would go and check my meds! Hope you get a nap later.

BB said...

Sounds lovely... I too was prodded awake earlier than I wished. But not by my mind (which was quite happy in the land of nod)... I shall post on my little alarm clocks as soon as my third coffee kicks in!
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, small things are small miraclles oftentimes...

Jayne said...

Exactly.
Those beautiful dawns can clear the problems and highlight the silver linings oh so well ;)

Maude Lynn said...

Wow! I can't imagine seeing kangaroos grazing first thing in the morning.

Actually, if I'm seeing kangaroos at any time of the day, there is a problem!

Jen at Semantically driven said...

These blessings are great aren't they? When I can't sleep I lie in bed and read. Maybe next time I'll get up and go and sit outside and watch the sky instead.

Widdle Shamrock said...

Awww Jeanie, I know this. I sleep with the curtains open, so am often awoken by the dawn.

Pure magic.

Lightening said...

A lovely way to look at it Jeanie. I had the opposite problem last night. Not waking up early but getting to sleep late. Every time I dropped off, my body started cramping. Not fun!

Pencil Writer said...

Smiles!

Lin said...

Dawn is my favourite part of the day. But I usually find the price to pay for experiencing it too high!

Hope you've been sleeping longer since then.

jeanie said...

mommamia - yes, although sometimes I wish that you could appreciate the blessing without the deprivation. Still, balance of the universe...

Mary Paddock - there were a few whirs that accompanied it, which is why I tend to rise and attack rather than hunker down and hide.

Leenie - true, you would think you had "kangaroos in the top paddock" if you saw that I suppose.

Bush Babe - I can't wait to meet your newest alarm clock - that, and get my other alarm back!

rhubarbwhine - you just have to look hard at times.

Jayne - nice how the universal controller chucks out little miracles at times, hey?

Mama Zen - see my kangaroo reference above. Mind you, I too would be concerned if I saw some of your wildlife.

Jen - my rule is if I don't go back to sleep I have to get up - its a reward system in the end.

Widdle Shamrock - a woman after my heart!

Lightening - that is a far worse form of insomnia, I find. Take a mineral tablet!

Pencil Writer - smiles right back at you.

Lin - yes, I had to give up midnight Bollywood movies to get the joy!!! No to the sleeping longer, unfortunately - or fortunately!!