Sunday, April 23, 2023

Ready your dragons

 Happy St George's Day.

So lovely to share my celebration with George - pretty impressive based on his write up.

When I was a kid my birthday always fell on a holiday - the local show always fell on my birthday (as it did this year - I didn't go)

And I have met many a top person - so many special people in MY life who are 23rd-ers, even a few who share the day.

Oh my yes.

 I know that I am so much older today for I just discovered that I have slipped from the generation that had elders only celebrating "on this day!" but now the list is all "what the heck is a tick-tock star?" (and yes, the generation that knows bloddy well what a tick-tock star is THEORETICALLY but kinda wishes they didn't)

Shirley Temple is apparently no longer a relevant name - nor Shakespeare.

I got to do so many things that I love today - I got to stay at home, and when your life gets about hither and thither (and when I compare myself to some who thither far more crazily than me or there) staying home is a desire.

Both of my girls and v were with me but not in your face sort of with me but in the general vicinity sort of bliss.

I got these flowers


I also got a shopping trip sans everyone yesterday courtesy of 'Salina and Paris doing stuff together while I went and got what I wanted with no regard to anyone being bored, hungry, tired, in pain or on their phone.

I got to solve a phone mystery with my Dad. He rang me on his mobile because someone had called him - did I remember Pat's nephew - but he couldn't get his number which he wanted to pass on to someone as the nephew hadn't heard that Cyril had died and Cyril had been so good with Pat but all I can find is Molly's number.

We worked out that it would be best that I called him back on his landline so I could talk him through the finding of the number. 

I am that child who is "the techy one" so I get all the techy questions. This is despite me also being "the android one" in an apple family who ensured (through the age old indoctrination method of passing along an old phone)  that he have an apple.

I settled in for the long haul and told him to press buttons that I could only imagine while he gave me his findings. 

No elusive nephew's number.

A light bulb then flickered.

"How did he have your mobile. He called you on the landline, didn't he?"

Ah yes.

So I video called him so he could show me the handset - theoretically much easier.

Except - have you ever had to explain to someone where the camera is on a smartphone so they can show you the image of something? With an elder? With my Dad?!

It's not a problem that his generation had to encounter.

I eventually saw enough of the handset to ascertain we had something similar - and I was able to give the right instructions for him to locate it.

Once he had written it down he offered to "hand me over to Mum". The wrong phone was transferred.

I cooked a cake.

I enjoyed the sun and coffee and phone calls and messages.

I used appliances and made impromptu coleslaw and koftas and meatballs and happy sauce.

My girls decorated

I had a bath. I got presents (true, none were a surprise but all were appreciated).

We feasted.

Just what this girl wished for.


And in 3 months today we shall be thithering ourselves, but at the other end is a kitchen that my hostess (& also a loved one) will be willing to share which is my idea of the perfect holiday destination.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you!! Funny at our age how anyone considers us the techie ones. A friend of mine in her 80s gave me that designation recently. At least she and I both use Apple products. My son and his wife are my Android experts.

Debby said...

I marvel at your technological talents. Every family needs a Jeanie.

jeanie said...

Thanks Kelly. Lucky you 🤪

jeanie said...

But not just one. Spread the load!