Thursday, October 26, 2023

Orb it!

 I have always had shocking eyesight.

I mean, I didn't have glasses for a good part of my childhood as I didn't realise that the world didn't look so fuzzy to the rest of you.

It was only because my baby brother blinked enough that my parents (mother) thought it warranted a trip to the big smoke that I ever stumbled upon the fact that I was severely short sighted.

(The big smoke in this instance being the nearby bigger town of my present. It's all relative.)


One of the "upsides" of myopia, I have been told by a reliable source on the internet, is that you can theoretically "improve" your eyesight with aging.

And in a way "they" are right, as I am currently doing this on my phone sans spectacles.

However the bar on non-blur options is non-existent currently. I blame it on the optometrist.

(This was from my last time)

If I hadn't belatedly made an appointment with him, I would not have had an appointment with him where he would rouse on me for not seeing him sooner.

I should have noticed, he said, of how much my eyesight had deteriorated and come sooner.

But how can you see how bad it's getting when it's always been crap?

I have mulifocals because I am blessed with both requiring assistance in making out the horizon (let alone individual facial features) AND the newer best feature of age-induced requirement for reading glasses - and I had attributed any blurriness to them being FILTHY or maybe me using them wrong (imposter syndrome on an ocular level).

I thought it very funny how I could see double when covering one eye.

Apparently, that Super-Power is called "cataracts".

It was then decreed that my eyesight needs to level up, and thus to another eye quack with an extra syllable.

(Part 2 to come..)

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I see an ophthalmologist once a year because of a medication I take. I'm glad, though, since I'm also able to monitor all those other potential eye conditions. I didn't know that about cataracts and seeing double!

jeanie said...

There is nothing QUITE LIKE sitting in the opthamologist's waiting room and seeing all the OTHER potential risks for your eyes, I will give you that.

Debby said...

Oh boy. Cataracts. My first thought? 'Good gravy...it is official. I am old.' The fact that you are dealing with this in your fifties is comforting. Maybe I am not old after all.

jeanie said...

I have been told that the gorgeous sunshine that we are so blessed with may be a factor in hurrying it along.