Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Pommes

 I remember when studying Communications at Uni, we had a mad, red-haired Semiotics lecturer of much renown in the small world of academics in that field. She adopted wholeheartedly the associated culture of her marital name's Russian heritage.  It was her cloak of Dostoevsky novels and swan feathers of sparkling white. She once was asked if she ever went to the movies just to enjoy: She was smug in her answer - "Never."


She was the reason my first free movie tickets when I worked in advertising were wasted.  

The epic ("Dances with Wolves" for those playing at home) opened with an iconic battle scene: Mud and gore and enthralling music and shadow and light and colour and sound colliding to the finale of an apple, stark and sharp, atop a post.

 I spent the NEXT THREE HOURS trying to find the hook to this literary device. I was one of the last to hold out but it defeated me. I determinedly made it to the end.

Sigh. Sometimes I dream of closure in disappointing movies.



This dream has become a living nightmare, however, in the shape of the constant reminder that we have a teenaged girl in the house.

 Post-apple detritus akin to the breadcrumb trail of h&g fame.

(Meanwhile, hidden in the fridge until the weekend are two of these - http://www.carcamoscaramelapples.com.au/product-category/gourmet-caramel-apples/



'Salina visited The Big Smoke on the weekend - and one of the regular temptations on a trip to The Big Smoke is such - she made the offer of couriering some.

I abstained. The combination of age, medications, inertia and a chocolate jar too close to me at work means that I have to be a little staunch, and I know that (a) I am better at resisting temptation when the item is not within getting distance, and (b) even if I did succeed in resisting temptation, someone else would not, and those people would likely be (i) a loved one, causing discord and familial disorder, or (ii) a burglar. While (i) is the more likely, I don't like entertaining the thought of (ii).)

I will leave you with this - at least this way, it shall not lead me into the diabetic coma that it promises in real life.

Muffin Vegan a la Pomme et au Chocolat 



It's vegan, it's got to be healthy!

So, how's them apples?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

A snickers caramel apple. Wow. Not vegan, but it does sound delicious! (telling myself NOT to click on the link for the vegan muffin)

Anonymous said...

Lead me not into temptation but deliver me from caramel...

jeanie said...

Haha anonymous! I figure that picture would be enough for me Kelly!