Tuesday, August 15, 2023

On Vegemite sandwiches, amazing women and the lure of sleep

We have arrived back in Australia - I am sure that I missed it as much as it missed me.

While in the US with extended family, Cousin-in-law D (hereafter referred to as CILD2 - due to him being the 2nd with that moniker to occupy such a seat at my extensive extended family table) enquired "what is a Vegemite sandwich?"

"A sandwich with butter and Vegemite" I replied, rather perplexed at such a bewilderingly simple question.

CILD2 was quite serious however, asking "do you mean that Vegemite is an actual thing?"

"Yes" I responded, pretty sure that he was now officially taking the mickey. "What did you think it might be?"

"I thought it was a punch or something slang."

 CILD2 (and others at the party) got to see an actual Vegemite jar and have some Vegemite with butter on on bread - neither he nor the majority of participants were fans - I blame the American version of the butter!

It's actually a pretty weird concept that some - okay many - people consider Vegemite weird.

It was such a staple in every cupboard in our area had a jar. Babies cut their teeth gnawing toast fingers with Vegemite; a delicacy for me as a child was a split weetbix with butter and crunchy peanut paste and honey on one half and butter with Vegemite on the other (I know a horse that was partial to it too); and CWA ladies would cater and give morning and afternoon teas with no table void of a plate of Sao, butter and alternating tomato, cheese or Vegemite toppings.

Just as I sat down to write about the above, V came in to tell me a story that he had just heard the first part of on the radio. It was regarding  Clara Barton.

After a traipse through that I was brought to mind of Joice Nankivell Loch.

Which brought me back to a photo



(Paris doing what the kids at her school were cooking in food technology while she was away - recipe used here)

Bed beckons. 

Question to ponder - what was commonplace to your childhood that others might consider quaint or strange?


4 comments:

Kelly said...

I first tasted Vegemite when I had to prepare snacks for an Aussie themed book club meeting. While I can't say I now keep it in my pantry, I certainly wasn't offended by it in any way.

Hmmm... still pondering that question. I grew up in small-town southern USA. I'm sure we did/ate lots of things other parts of the country thought was weird.

Debby said...

Well. My mother used to love a good peanut butter and pickle sandwich. I used to put salt on my watermelon, before I became old and taking blood pressure medication.

I have a jar of marmite right now. To be honest, I've never tried it, being afraid that my eyeballs would explode.

jeanie said...

Oh my, that is much too much Vegemite - I grew up on it and love it enough to ensure that I have a supply on hand when I visited your shores. Google "Hugh Jackman Vegemite" and watch the video (the link was ridiculous and wouldn't work) - a bit- like that although Hugh doesn't realise that really nice bread with taste and grit is even better - and a slight pause before spreading the (preferably yellow Australian) butter so it retains its structural integrity and mixes into a 70s enamel painting - devour with a cup of tea

jeanie said...

It's Marmite - they very likely would. I loved beetroot and cheese sandwiches when I first discovered beetroot - which is grown in a tin with vinegar. I am currently blaming salt for the latest kg. Salt that was wrapped around deep fried potato, mainly!