Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Rabbit Holes

 

I sometimes go down rabbit holes in my late night meanders in search of ancestors.

On of our forbears was an Alexander Fleming.

But not THAT Alexander Fleming.

The one who found penecillin on a petri dish.

Unfortunately. He would have been a far easier Alexander Fleming to unearth.




So he may have been the one who was looking for tutors - or the one importing rams - who by sheer coincidence another forbear ended getting a share of!

I found a big part of the story of his wife's life through a probate claim so tried looking at "estate" with Fleming and once I weeded out the real estate offers found this (not my forbear)


And then this



And if you need me I may be chasing riches in far off lands (& centuries)...

5 comments:

gz said...

Just when you think you have a name that, There can't be more than one called that....you get two...and they marry a girl of the same name.....it is fun researching !!

Kelly said...

Fortunately I've never had the desire to go down those rabbit holes. I admire those of you who have the patience to dig deeply like this! Even when you don't find what you're looking for, I'm sure it can be fun finding other folks' skeletons and the like!

jeanie said...

Haha so true @gz! I worked with a Dymphna who had a sil the same name. And there are two German patriarchs who had numerous progeny names on high rotation - I always thought our Isobel was due to the German influence until I discovered a very rich vein of them in Scotland.
Ah @kelly, I am easily distracted by an elusive story (& from the more elusive ones too)

Debby said...

So many repeating names! I prefer my rabbit holes not to be inhabited by dead forebears.

jeanie said...

Hahaha Debby - you prefer rabbits?