Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Nuances of Sorry

Over here, we are having a bumper brew of PMT - some months we have barely an hour of it upsetting our equilibrium, others we can have 8 days of eggshell walking.

I woke up very cranky for no good reason and I knew it - I had barely opened my eyes when my nasty side started in on me, berating me for so much I had to leave the bed to escape - and walked in to the living room where my happy family were. Ha! I gave them fair warning and sought a spot where I could affect no-one.

I even turned to grapefruit - my miracle fruit - which went very well - first mouthful perked me up - but the rest of it tasted musty. Then I had muesli - it tasted musty also. Darn - first my senses of humour and optimism, then my sense of taste. Things were not going well.

I tried so hard not to allow this drift down over us and affect us all, but there are moments when the nasty mood just catches up and trips you over.

I applied myself to household duties - always a good thing to attempt, as at least something gets done! V - darling sweet V - tiptoed in to the kitchen very carefully.

"I am sorry for being in such a shirty mood" I said. His look was very wary.

"You shouldn't apologise unless you are doing something wrong". Wow - wrong f***ing response, John Howard!

In my nicest words I explained that it was more a "sorry that he is going through" rather than a "sorry I am doing this" and there are many shades of the term. I am not sure he heard me, what with his armour raised like that.

However, we have survived to the other end of the day. Only 6 more days to go until the P is removed from the mood - something we are ALL looking forward to.

And yes, there are days when I think that I should do something about those Evening Primrose Oil pills my mother keeps pushing...

9 comments:

Just-Me-Jen said...

Ouch. Glad you at least had time to warn the family. :-0
I hope the days pass quickly. =)

Julie Pippert said...

Oh ouch the hormonal swings that hit me in the 30s were harsh.

Try diet first and see if that helps.

And luckily you've got some understanding.

Julie
Using My Words

ELIZABETH said...

I too used to warn the family and I took it very very badly if they forgot to walk around me on tippie toe.
Just think in 20 or 30 years it will be all over and done. Pray for early menopause.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hear ya girl...load and clear LOL!

Thanks for worrying about me and the offer of a lift..thanks but I will be fine, give me a wave on your way passed tho :)

Tracey said...

Ooh, I recommend the Evening Primrose Oil. I swear they mute the more wild of the mood swings. Total anecdotal evidence here, but whenever I forget to take them, I notice myself getting more stroppy. They don't prevent the strops, but they help. For sure.

Anonymous said...

Hope it passes soon. I always get PMS about three days before the flood. That is the day when the boys duck for cover and the girls madly clean.
Can't wait when there are five of us cycling. My husband reckons he's going to buy a lock for the bedroom...so he can take cover during those days!
My sympathies are with you.

Anonymous said...

You are a saint for warning them.

I just bite the head off a live dove. They usually get the message then ;)

Anonymous said...

I had quite a year last year with turning into the psycho uber bitch from hell every month. One of my kids ran away from home, I kid you not, I was that bad. I found that a magnesium, zinc and B6 supplement really helped calm the worst of the mood swings.

God luv ya for warning them!

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

I am sooooo with you on this one.