Monday, January 26, 2009

Surfing, selection criteria and moments of national significance

Still hot but not as wet here today.

We arose early (do we ever do it any other way?) and I had a batch of chocolate chip cookies done and dough rising for buns by 9 - and so by 9.05, we were heading off to the beach.

The tide was high, the water swell and the crowd yet to (swell - its a play on words).

With the recent weather, strands of seaweed are part of the whole ocean swimming experience - which is disconcerting at first, but you get used to it and start to chuckle at the newcomers shrieks upon the discovery.

The waves were beautiful - here, they will never imitate those of Hawaii, California or the Sunshine Coast (much to V's disenchantment) but they are fine for that great Aussie past-time, bodysurfing.

I recall going to the beach when I was a child. My father took forever to get to deeper water, because the slightest hint of decent wave would see him disappear back to the shore.

There are almost as many opinions as to the best way to bodysurf as there are variables to consider when chosing your wave.

However, there is nothing like launching yourself into the oceans power and feeling yourself ride the crest of the foam, the sudden cessation of support and the sensation of seaweed in your togs. Well, the last one can be done without, I suppose.

Since that moment, I have analysed the financial situation (eek), baked the buns (yum) and got up 'Salina's nose by not being as helpful with her book cover design for the pile of schoolbooks to cover.

V and 'Salina have gone for a repeat at the beach this afternoon while I address selection criteria, redesign my CV and scour for job opportunities. I know what I would prefer to be doing!

Happy Australia Day - sausages, burgers and chops on the barbie later for one last celebratory evening before that most auspicious of days - the start of Grade 5!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, job hunting - realy? Keep us informed!

BB said...

Yah.. the old body-surf-in-two-inch-ripples of our pater. Too funny (and quite a feat of physics - one burly Aussie bloke and two inches of wave-power?)

Good luck with the job thing... yours sounds like a laid back day - mustering, branding, mothering up, AI. No chardy til 8pm. Gahhhh!
:-)
BB

Woman in a Window said...

It's always interesting for my pellet sized Canadian brain to take in what is the flip side of our natural order. It's just never occured to me, in all my years, the different starts for school, the different rythym to days.

Good luck with the job!

jeanie said...

RhubarbWhine - (weather + building downturn = my co-contributer to the household being less able to) + (slow-paying clients + school holidays work availability = my contribution fluctuations on the downside) = holy heck we need to have a salary from one of us response!

BB - I didn't realise you were starting today. I wouldn't have taunted you with the beach, honest. Enjoy the chardy.

Woman in a Window - thanks for the luck. Our Summer Holidays takes in Christmas, so our school year starts at the beginning of the year - fairly logical for us.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty good way to spend the public holiday. Except the selection criteria bit - the worst part of the process. Good luck with the job hunt.

Maude Lynn said...

Wow! You're blogging about the beach, and I'm watching an ice storm!

Good luck with the job hunt!

Jayne said...

I used to be a member of the Beaumaris Ripple Riders until they were out-lawed by water restrictions :P

Debby said...

Good luck on the job hunt. I'm looking too. *sigh*

Crazed Nitwit said...

Good Luck finding a job and with your 'tween. Wink.

Lin said...

Body surfing and a barbie: I couldn't think of a better way to spend Australia Day!

I am the kind of parent who runs from the waves too... I'm glad to hear it won't necessarily result in my child not appreciating their joyeus qualities!

Good luck with the job apps and Salina's first day in year 5!

Just-Me-Jen said...

Yes, good luck in the job search, and yay 'Salina - grade 5! Have a wonderful first day! :-)

Melody said...

Oh wow - what a great image you described of your local beach. SOunds like a delightful way to spend the morning; very typically Australian way!

Anonymous said...

We spent australia day watching a non stop "wiggle"athon on sky tv, due to reorganising the new house. Yours sounds like much more fun.
Back again soon. ty for your comments.K

Le said...

how fabbo - great aussie day re the beach part .... shame bout the job part .... that ain't no fun !! le

jeanie said...

Thanks Guera!

Mama Zen - I hope it warmed you.

Jayne - please explain?

Debby - good luck to you too.

Crazed Mom - thanks.

Lin - my old man was catching waves, not running from them.

Just-Me-Jen - thanks - going well so far.

Melody - it was, it is.

Kate - very Aussie of you (and sounds horrid, the Wiggles torture).

le - it was, although the job stuff can be fun.

Anonymous said...

I loved body surfing as a kid...... on the rare occassions we got to do it lol

Lin said...

"my old man was catching waves, not running from them."

Duh! That was just to demonstrate how my European background will never allow me to catch up on certain aspects of Australian culture!!!

Lin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.